DENIZLI GULBAGLI KIPCAK CEMETERY AND ITS TURKIC GRAVESTONES WITH TAMGAS
Gülbağlık, former name was Kurbağlık, is located on the east part of Denizli province and one of the furthest towns to the city. It is situated next to Kale town on Denizli-Muğla highway . Gülbağlık is about 96 kms far way from Denizli , 22 kms far away from Kale town on the hill with the altitude 815 m above the sea level and the 1347 people live in this village according to the 2012 census. The former name was “ Kurbağlık “ and it has been recently chaneged into Gülbağlık that means the place with rose gardens. The history of the city goes back to the ancient time due to Tabea antique settlement is very close to Gülbağlı but the inhabitant say that the Gülbağlı village was founded in 1359 during the big migration to Anatolia by “ Sarıkeçili “ tribe whose people were nomadic Turks with their flock of sheep & cows came from central Asia. It was added to Ottoman empire in 1435. The village was noted for growing the roses which was used to male rose jam during the medieval ages but one day all plants including the rose gardens had been dried up by an unknown disease so frogs had invaded the village that was noted for as Kurbağlık. The Gülbağlık village people seem to be nomads with different face shapes and bone who are similar to the people live in Uzbekistan & Kazakhistan so the village was the place where a lot of migrants from central Asia were settled down. We think that the village people have tried not to be mix with the other tribes & migrants therefore they have been succesfull to maintain the physical & cultural values up to now. Another interesting thing is that the main village cemetery is full of Turkic Balbals-Standing Stones- which are tamgas, seals of ancient Turks, inscribed. We visited the village several times and asked to its people where they came from & when the village was founded, they could not give us the detailed information. We also wanted to know why the cemetery is full of Balbals with carving tamgas on, they said that they have been doing these symbols as a tradition for centuries and they have been handed down from generation to generation. The Gülbağlı village cemetery is worth visiting by the scientists & epigraphs clearly and the Ballbal stones with tamgas are investigated by a scientific way. The gravestones are real historical & cultural treasures of all points which can possibly reveal the unknown section of Turkish history before Turks accepted the Islam faith. We estimate that the origin of village people were Qıpchak, Ortodox Turks, who settled down in Asia Minor about 500 AD. The Balbals are similar to the ones which can be seen in Altay-Tuva regions in Russia and in Uzbekistan in central Asia today. The tamgas are the symbols of Turkish tribes which have been used the Turkish people all over the world for centuries. The Gülbağlı village gravestones must be kept in better conditions, be preserved in safe, be examined under the directorate of Turkish government and the results must be registered & published without delay. Because the Balbal stones are open to be destroyed as a big threat and the tamgas began disappearing day by day. The gravestones & tamgas are really worth visiting and examining when the visitors pay a visit. All of them are considered treasures & stone libraries which open new horizons. Any visitor can find Taş Baba-human faced sculptres, trees of life, Gök tengi tamgas, Balbal-standing stones and so on.